forum.bjork.fr
Sign in to follow this  
Song of the storm

Björk & sample

...'little now a lot' par arca sur 'arisen my senses'

(ça fait bizarre de lire les messages sur ce sujet... qui a été ouvert quand j'avais trois ans. enfant de vespertine...)

Le sample de Possibly Maybe

Citation

Lawrence English's Room40 label has announced the release of Scanner's work Mass Observationin full for the first time.

The piece was famously sampled by Björk in 1995 on her track 'Possibly Maybe', in the form of the pulsing electronic tone that runs through the song. Many may not know though that the sample itself wasn't actually cleared for use. 

The recording sees a young Jim O'Rourke and Robert Hampson teaming up with Robin Rimbaud, otherwise known as Scanner, and originally dates back to 1994. Like other works by Rimbaud, it reflects his concern with surveillance and the dichotomy of public and private space, issues that are still on people's minds today. 

"There were three performers and one witness," says Rimbaud of the recording the piece. "I can remember this day so well, even though it was some twenty-four years ago. Standing up before a mixing desk in a dark room in an apartment in South London, Jim O'Rourke, Robert Hampson and myself, literally all hands-on deck as we each took responsibility for the faders on the desk.

"Introducing sounds to the mix, unexpected, unpredictable, where the accident reigned supreme. Sometimes the high frequency of cellular noise would pervade the atmosphere, at other junctures it would erupt into words and melt down to radio hiss."

Room40 will release an edited four-minute version of the piece, which you can hear above, alongside the full expanded version which has never been widely heard before now.

source : the quietus

• I like 3
  • Waw ! 1

une interview de Scanner en 2000 sur le sujet http://www.phinnweb.org/5HT/interviews/scanner/

Citation

Björk used a sample of yours without your permission, what was the outcome of this incident? I'd like to hear your point if you're only willing to discuss it...

Yes, a rather weary incident but one well worth discussing. It's really something simple. It's one of those stories that started small and grew out of all proportions really... 

Basically, on Björk's album Post is a track called "Possibly Maybe" that uses an excerpt from my recording "Mass Observation" and her record company rang me up one week before the album was released and said: "Robin, Björk has used your work for her new album". And I said: "Oh, what should we do about it? Do we have to talk about money, or... I don't know because I had never been in a situation like that!". My record company New Electronica took it very seriously because Little Indian would press 1.2 million copies of that album and hadn't cleared the sample! I didn't really mind and still don't really care because my work is partly about sampling and the work I enjoy from others is also those about sampling, whether it's Negativland, Carl Stone, The Orb and so on; but it reached a really silly stage because it hadn't anything to do with me or Björk, but was more a fight between record companies...

It is interesting that in the aftermath the Belgian and Dutch press reported that I received 2 million UK pounds for this sample! Which just goes to show how warped the press angle can be on some situations especially when no money exchanged hands at all in the end and I 'gave' the sample away willingly. Recently there have been discussions between Björk and myself too about the possibility of working together on a project which now seems very likely indeed in the summer of 1996. So something positive should come of all this confusion, I hope.

• I like 2

Du coup je ne crois pas avoir vu celui ci dans le sujet: 

Venus As A Boy: 

Mayumi Miyata - Music For Sho and Harp 1986

• Waw ! 4

Je poste ce lien là, c'est un site de référencement sur les samples, la page bjork est assez bien remplie, (titres qu'elle a semple, ou titre qui la sample, + les covers): https://www.whosampled.com/Björk/ Il y a meme des samples dispo sur des remix, certains que je n'avais vu :trompette:

Le 14/12/2019 à 17:47, HöShI a dit :

Du coup je ne crois pas avoir vu celui ci dans le sujet: 

Venus As A Boy: 

Mayumi Miyata - Music For Sho and Harp 1986

en plus, il y a un côté Cover Me (?)

Edited by cdric